Saturday, April 26, 2008

April 12th-Sandburg 2 mile

(Copied from somewhere else)

I made it!!

The race was at 9, but we got there at 8:15 to check in. It took all of 2 minutes, so we had a long time to sit and wait. It was 38, sprinking and windy. Could have been worse. I wore thermal pants and a top, track pants, a short sleeved T and a fleece coat, a hat and gloves. I took the gloves off by the end and wished I could have taken my coat off, but my number was on it. Started out fine, then a small hill, then a big hill. The one mile turn around point was at the top of the hill. I walked a bit up the hill. My time at 1 mile was 10:25. I was shocked!

I took a few more walk breaks on the way back (mainly because I had a killer side cramp). There was a guy with a bullhorn towards the finish line and was yelling at me, "it's time to sprint, you're almost there". (I wanted to kick him) So, I started running like a mad woman to get in under the the next minute. Now, this sounds dumb, but I cannot remember if it was 21 or 22 minutes I think I made it right under the 21 minute. My friend, Barb, finished shortly behind me so I waited for her. It was her first race as well. Her husband came out and took pictures of us. I'm sure we were looking sexy.

We didn't stick around for awards because I needed to get the boys from my mom and I figured there wasn't really a need. I had no reason to think I would win anything. I go to the Y with the boys for Healthy Kids Day and a coworker who was also at the race comes up to me and says "I told you guys you should have stayed!". Turns out I won 1st place in my age group and so did my friend! We both got trophies!!!!! She got them for us and gave them to me at the Y. I had a perma-smile on my face and probably looked like an idiot, but I was so excited!
_________________

Ok, the results are up and and my time was 20:54. There were only a few of us in my age group so it wasn't a huge victory, but I'll still take it.

No comments: