Saturday, April 26, 2008

April 26th-Wildlife Prairie Classic 5K

(also copied)

Well, I made it through my first 5K! The trail was interesting...mud, gravel, grass, pavement, wooden pathways, potholes, did I mention the mud? I had no freakin idea where we were by the middle of it, and I've been going to this park since grade school!

I finished in 34:02. I'll admit I didn't really push myself. I was tired and freezing so I kind of putzed along. Some parts were very narrow, only 3 people across (which I've since learned is normal for a trail run- thanks Lena!). Some people didn't want to move over to the side, that was frustrating. I wore what I did a few weeks ago, minus my thermal leggings. Thank god I brought my hat and gloves!

I got there WAY to early. Packet pick up was 6:30-7:15 and the race was at 8. I had no idea how busy it would be, so I went super early. It took no time at all, so I had over an hour to waste. Good thing I brought a good book along! Got the T-shirt, in the wrong size, and an awesome breakfast afterwards. I was starving...and there were donuts! How cool is that! And I snagged some bananas and a granola bar for the ride home.

Next weekend is a 4.37 mile race. But, my friend is taking me for mexican afterwards, so that'll be motivating. I'm spending the night at my sister's the night before, so I'm looking forward to that! I'm going to continue with my "night before the race" pizza tradition. (Hey, it seems to working well so far)

Note for next year: recruit people to race with me. Racing by yourself sucks. Not the actually racing part, the the before and after parts. Standing around by yourself is b o r i n g. I need some motivation to keep me going-though the donuts worked pretty good, a friend would be nice too.

No comments: