Tuesday, May 13, 2008

May 10th-Peoria Race for the Cure 5K

Holy freebies, Batman! Ok, got that out of my system. This race was HUGE. I think there were an estimated 20,000 people there. It was a little overwhelming, but in a good, inspirational way. I think only 600 people had a chip to be timed. I was in the 300's, pretty much in the middle. I came in at 31.32 chip time. I was soo excited! My pace is slowly going down!

From the beginning:

I wore pants and a t-shirt since it was supposed to be in the 50's and semi sunny. I got to the mall in Peoria at 6:45 to meet my best friend Laura. She was going to walk with me, but couldn't (understandably =) ). She was SOOO nice though, and still picked my packed up for me. She met me to give me my packet (thank you!) and she took my keys for me. It was so nice not to have to run while holding keys! I got on a bus (my first time on a city bus, wooo!) and rode over to the race site.

It was crazy at the race site. Well organized, but just a lot of people. Panera bread was there with ribbon shaped bagels, some juice place, Ford was giving away breast cancer awareness scarves, Charmin (It think) was there doing some game to win prizes and a few others. I just wandered around as I had 50 minutes to kill. I did get a scarf that I carried and a free t-shirt from the juice people. I threw that on over my other T and it was insanely big. But, I wasn't going to carry it, so on it went.

We started lining up and they told the people with chips to go towards the front. I had no idea where I was in the group. Sucks being short. Where's Brent when I need him?!? So, I inched forward as best I could. They must have waived the flag because we all started moving...slowly. It seemed like forever before I got to the start line. Really, it was only 30 seconds according to my chip/flag start time difference. I felt like a sardine packed in there. I couldn't move very fast so I knew my time was going to be slow. I got to the first mile marker and I was at 11 minutes something. Sooo not good. I kept going and got to mile two at 20 something. It started clearing out about then as some people were walking so there was more room. Last race, at this time, I started walking. I was determined to run the whole thing this time, so I trucked on.

There were a ton of people, churches, boy scouts, etc lining the streets with water, lemonade, bands singing in driveways. It was cool. During this mile, the men started catching up with us. They started 10 minutes later than the women. They sprinted by me. One guy clapped for us as he sprinted by and said "good job ladies!". It's a good thing I couldn't catch him or I might have tripped him. I know, I know, he was just being encouraging. But, seriously, I'm red faced and sweaty and I don't need you, Mr. skinny legs, to pat me on the back. I might have been getting a little tired and cranky at this point. Maybe.

I was actually feeling pretty good so I knew I'd be able to finish it by running. A woman next to me said the finish line was coming up and I said "I sure hope so!". I didn't know the area, so I had to idea where I was on the course. We came down a little hill and I saw the finish line. I saw the timer said 31 something and I HAD to get in before it hit 32 so I all get-out sprinted towards it. I don't know where that energy came from, but it worked. After I crossed the line a man asked if I wanted him to take the chip of my shoe. Uh, YEA, or I'll probably fall over on you. Duh!

I wandered over to the Cub food area and these guys wearing tuxes were handing out water and bags of food. I headed over to the bus area and almost got high on the fumes. It was awful! They finally boarded us and I got back to the mall. Laura met me again and we went to Panera for breakfast. Total yum.

I did raise $65! Thank you Sandi, Barb and Rebecca! I found out later that one of Alex's teachers saw me there but I didn't see her. I totally wished I had so I would of had someone to hang out with! I'm getting more comfortable being by myself though, so it wasn't too bad.

Next up, the Running Wild 5K in Davenport on the 24th!

No comments: