Saturday, May 24, 2008

May 24th-Running Wild 5K

This race was put on by the Running Wild store in Davenport for the ARC of Rock Island (I think-I'm not even sure what the ARC is). There was a pretty good size crowd there, but not too bad. They were allowing strollers and dogs, so that was new for me. It was supposed to be 50 and partly sunny at 8, but at 6:00 this morning, it was not. So, I put on a thermal long sleeved shirt, a t-shirt and pants on. Man, was I regretting that choice about 8:15 when I was sweating! I would have been fine in shorts and a t-shirt. Oh well, live and learn.

I got there about 45 minutes before the race started and got my race packet and chip. The shirts were HUGE. Sucks, they were pretty neat, maybe it'll shrink. Then I just wandered around for a bit. It was at a Gold's Gym. Fancy schmancy. (I come from Y country, ya know).

At 8 we lined up on the street and everyone started moving. I, unfortunately, had walkers in front of me that I almost tripped over. So, I found my way out of that mess and started running. There were a couple of hills, but they weren't too bad. It was through a residential area which was nice. Fancy houses are always a good distraction.

I again waiting until I saw the finish line and sprinted. I probably should start sprinting a bit earlier, but I don't want to tire out before I cross the line! I did run the whole thing, but I don't have my chip time yet. Somewhere in the 31 minute time. I grabbed some gatorade and a couple of cookies (ok, ok, and a banana...and part of a bagel... geez! quit harassing me, I was hungry!) and headed home.

My next one is in two weeks in Peoria! MUST BREAK THE 31 MINUTE TIME! I'm shooting to be somewhere in the 30 minute time.

No comments: